All Photography property of Travis Schulert
At Great Lakes Permadynamics we grow really, really good soil. We believe that any plant is only as nutrient dense as the soil it was grown in. Good soil starts with real, raw, organic amendments, we add 7 every year to bring over 60 elements and 120 minerals and trace minerals to the soil. Combine this approach with a no-till gardening system, and a passion for growing without pesticides, fungicides, or herbicides. Together what you have is a revolutionary approach to local, small scale food production. Like the plants that nourish us, we are only as strong as our weakest link.
Grow an abundance of nutrient dense produce, sustainably, while growing top soil and harboring diversity. To dance the fine line between symbiosis with nature, and arrogant attempt at control over it. To seek to work with the land, and with the community, to bring real food and real nutrition to the doorsteps of those in need of a greener future.
Our core tenants
Be constantly building the health and organic matter of the soil.
In everything we do, it must be good for earth, and ourselves.
- No-till and no-dig beds for maximum plant and soil health.
- It is not soil that grows plants, but the life within the soil.
- Microbes are sensitive; no chemical ever touches our soil.
- Never fertilize, only amend soil with food for the microbes, and let the life of the soil feed our plants for us.
- Never seek to dominate the garden, simply learn to nudge it in the direction you would like it to go.